Xenophobia #atozblogchallenge

We are so afraid.

Of the one who is not the same.
Of the one who is the nonconformist.
Of the one who will not adhere to social norms.

We are so afraid of the one who will speak up and speak out and look different and be different and sound different and worship differently and love differently.

Wars are started because we will not be tolerant of others differences.
Riots break out because we are not happy when someone wants the same rights as us… 

When they do it, it looks odd.

The Baptist are afraid of the Pentecostals.
Christians are afraid of Muslims.
Whites and blacks… and browns.

They have a funny accent.
Can’t they just speak English?
It makes me uncomfortable to see public displays of affection in public.
And my children are watching for gods sake!

The truth is that we all come in the same place.
We all die and go into the ground.
We all bleed the same blood!  
We cry the same salty bitter tears.
We are the same… in so many more ways than we are different.

I have a friend… No really an acquaintance. I like to think of her is my nemesis, even though I'm told I'm too old to have a nemesis!! 

Never!

At one time we thought similarly.
But as I've aged and my children have pushed me beyond boundaries I never thought I'd see and after I faced ostracization and shunning from a community that was supposed to be loving… I have changed the way I see people.
I don't have a lot of patience with narrow minded views. I see them as bigots. As homophobic and as racist.

Those are harsh accusations. And I standby them because of the actions I've seen. But in reality I have tried to become more tolerant towards them, because I see them as ignorant.

Ignorant
[ig-ner-uh nt]
adjective
1.lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned:
an ignorant man.
2.lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact:
ignorant of quantum physics.
3.uninformed; unaware.
4.due to or showing lack of knowledge or training:
an ignorant statement.

Ignorance can be fixed.
With education and communication.
And patience.

No, I don't claim to be enlightened. Life experiences have changed me.
Hard questions that could no longer be answered from my belief system.
Doubt which led to personal research.
History that became tradition and mythology rather than fact.
Falling in love with people who were … different.

I'm still ignorant. But my mind and heart are open to people.
Not their religion.
Not there gender identification.
Not there sexual orientation.
Not their differences.


But our similarities.


0 comments:

Post a Comment